Thursday, February 25, 2010

Looking to March

Hi everyone, I have some exciting things coming up in the month of March that I will be writing about.



First, the month of March is National Social Work Month and I want my blog to serve as a place that will inspire curiosity about the field of social work and also provide information about the past, present, and future of the field. I will post something every week about the "movers and shakers" of the social work field and how they have influenced the way social work is practiced today. Also, I will share a little of my own journey in the field and write about the one question that people never fail to ask when I tell them I am getting a Masters degree in Social Work, "Huh, so what are you going to do with that?"

Second, I have decided to participate in prayer and fasting from March 1- April 9. Now before you close out this window thinking, "Wow, talk about a religious wacko!" hear me out. I am a firm believer in Jesus Christ, but that doesn't mean I don't struggle with my faith. For the last two years I have had a hard time with prayer. I don't understand it, I don't understand how it works, does anything happen when I pray? Why? When I pray, I don't understand what I should say or how to say it. The engineer in me wants God to draw back the curtain of heaven so I can watch what happens when believers pray. Unfortunately, I am one of those people who, if I don't understand it I am less likely to do it. I have really struggled with prayer for a while now; I have researched prayer forwards and backwards, looked into the Greek and Hebrew and still have questions about it. The conclusion I have come to is that prayer is one of those things you won't understand unless you do it. Kind of like knitting, you can sit there and stare at the pictures describing how to knit all day long but until you pick up the needles and thread, you will never know how to knit. I am hoping to gain from this experience a deeper understanding of who God is and a deeper understanding of prayer. I haven't decided how much of this experience I will share since it is so personal, but you can expect some funny food stories. I will be writing about the particular fast I'll be doing later.

Right about now you may be asking, "Courtney, where have you found all this extra time to blog?" Well, I wish I could say that my days have magically lengthened from 24 hours to 30, thus giving me an extra 6 hours to think about and edit what I will be posting, but that would just sound silly. The truth is, I don't have any extra time, I have just decided to shift a few things around and make the time. That means I may not write about the fasting project every week, but I will keep my few (but loyal) readers up to date. Expect to hear more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment